The Salt Lake City Police Department hosts a Citizens Academy twice a year for residents who want to become more acquainted with how the police department functions. After you fill out and submit the application, you will be contacted regarding upcoming dates.
During the three-day Academy, citizens will receive training in varied aspects of law enforcement, including the basics of patrol tactics, defensive tactics, firearms and many other subjects. “Cadets” will meet and talk with many of the members of the department. These courses will take place in a safe and entertaining training environment.
Academy instructors are all law enforcement professionals, who teach both veteran and recruit police officers. Participants will obtain a deeper understanding of the Police Department’s function with an increased awareness of community partnership opportunities.
To attend, applicants must be at least 18 years of age, live or work in Salt Lake City proper and be able to pass a background check. For more information, please call (801) 799-6397.
Next Citizens Academy:
- Wednesday, November 6, 6–9 p.m.,
- Thursday, November 7, 6–9 p.m.,
- Friday, November 8, 5–10 p.m.
Submitting your application:
- Fax: Attn: Training Unit – Citizens Academy – (801) 799-3419
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: SLCPD Training Unit, 1040 West 700 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84104
- Questions: (801) 799-6397