Police Department Employment – Civilian Careers
We are not accepting applications for any of our civilian positions at this time. Please check back periodically for the latest recruitment information.
The Salt Lake City Police Department hires individuals for a wide variety of civilian positions, including Public Safety Dispatcher, Information Specialist, Crime Lab Technician and Office Technician. Positions are available as vacancies occur.
The following is a list of civilian jobs and descriptions.
- Information Specialist
The Information Specialist performs a variety of functions including, but not limited to, processing and maintaining police reports and records through the use of the computer-aided dispatch system and word processors; assists police officers and the public, both over the telephone and in person, in relation to police records; distributes reports and inter-departmental mail.
Applicants must have the ability to relate well with co-workers, supervisors and the general public.
Movement from one step to the next is based on successful completion of an exam and accepting additional responsibilities.
- Crime Lab Technician
The Crime Lab Technician provides crime scene processing and evidence collection for the Police Department, particularly in the areas of fingerprints, photographs and other types of physical evidence.
To apply applicants MUST submit proof of:
- An associate degree in Police Science or Criminalistics OR an equivalent amount of formal training in crime lab techniques.
- Two (2) years of experience in photography and/or fingerprinting. Education can be substituted for experience on a year-for-year basis.
Applicants must have excellent interpersonal communication skills. This position requires frequent overtime, and on-call status is assigned on a rotating basis.
Moving from one step to the next requires successful completion of course work in different disciplines of forensic science. Placement on Step 5 requires the employee to possess a bachelor’s degree.
- Office Tech
The Office Tech performs difficult and varied secretarial work, including typing, word processing, filing, answering correspondence, scheduling appointments, preparing reports, taking minutes, and transcribing dictation.
To apply applicants MUST:
- Have two (2) years paid experience in an office performing secretarial or clerical duties.
- Successful completion of secretarial or office administration training may be substituted for one year of experience.
- Applicants must have the ability to relate well with co-workers and the general public.
- Other Civilian Positions
Applications for the other positions are accepted when a vacancy occurs. Applicants must complete the online application and the required Civil Service testing.