SLCPD Investigating Critical Injury Crash, 4 People HurtAugust 25, 2023
SLCPD Hosts Annual Police Pay-It-Forward EventAugust 26, 2023
PUBLIC RELATIONS UNIT
August 26, 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Contact Information: PolicePRUnit@slcgov.com
Media Request Form: https://slcpd.com/mediarequest/
SLCPD Conducts Search Warrant at New Yorker Nightclub
SALT LAKE CITY — This morning, the Salt Lake City Police Department executed a court-authorized search warrant at the New Yorker nightclub, located at 60 West Market Street, as part of an on-going criminal investigation.
During the search warrant, detectives seized four firearms, more than 100 bottles of alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, and cash.
Officers booked two people into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on charges of unlawful drug possession with the intent to distribute and the illegal possession of a firearm. The names and ages of the two men arrested are not immediately available.
The Salt Lake City Fire Department assisted with the search warrant and deemed the building unsafe after finding the club to be in violation of fire code.
During the execution of the search warrant, officers shut down Market Street between South Main Street and West Temple Street.
In June 2023, the Salt Lake City Police Department began a criminal investigation related to alleged conduct occurring inside the club. As part of that investigation, and in response to several shootings, the Salt Lake City Police Department launched a crime suppression operation and conducted enhanced weekend patrols in downtown, specifically around the New Yorker nightclub.
The enhanced patrol operations started on June 9, 2023, and have continued nearly every weekend since.
The Salt Lake City Police Department’s Central Patrol Division and the Central Patrol Division Bike Squad have led the enhanced patrol operations.
In addition to the SLCPD’s Central Patrol Division Bike Squad, members from the SLCPD’s Pioneer Patrol Division Bike Squad, the Liberty Patrol Division Bike Squad, the department’s Gang Unit, Motor Squad, Violent Criminal Apprehension Team (VCAT) and patrol officers have all helped with the enhanced patrol operations.
Between June 9 and July 15, 2023, the efforts of the enhanced patrol operations resulted in the arrest of 15 people, the seizure of six firearms, including three rifles, more than 30 traffic stops, and more than 50 community contacts with officers. Additionally, officers have seized cocaine and marijuana during their work.
Since the enhanced patrol operations started, there have been no aggravated assaults or homicides at 60 West Market Street or in the immediate area.
Other notable cases occurring during the enhanced patrol operations include, but are not limited to:
· August 19, 2023 – While finishing their enhanced patrols, SLC911 received a noise complaint around 6 a.m. about people partying in a parking lot at approximately 300 South West Temple Street. Numerous officers responded to the scene, including 60 West Market Street, and safely disbanded the crowds. Due to the size of the crowds, and other obligations, the officers working the enhanced patrols finished their shifts around 8 a.m. – four hours later than normal.
· August 12, 2023 – While conducting enhanced patrol, officers responded to reports of a stabbing at 60 West Market Street. Due to the size of the crowd, additional officers responded. Officers found several people in a parking lot and in the streets nearby fighting. Officers safely began separating people and looking for anyone with injuries. Officers reported despite their presence, several people continued to fight and argue. Officers found at least three people with minor injuries that appeared to have been related to physical fighting. Of the three people identified with injuries, all declined to be treated by paramedics.
· July 8, 2023 – While conducting enhanced patrols, officers quickly intervened prior to a fight breaking out in a parking lot near 60 West Market Street. While doing so, they found a restricted person in illegal possession of a firearm.
· July 7, 2023 – While conducting enhanced patrols, an SLCPD gang officer attempted to stop a car at 60 West Market Street. Officers safely arrested two people inside the car who ran.
· June 17, 2023 – While conducting enhanced patrols, officers responded to a fight in progress inside a parking structure at 55 East Exchange Place. Officers found multiple fights in progress. Due to the number of fights, officers from across the city responded. Later, while continuing their enhanced patrols, SLCPD VCAT and Gang officers found a man passed out in a car vomiting. When officers approached, they found the man in illegal possession of a firearm. That same evening, as officers prepared to end their shifts, they responded to a fight in the 300-block of West Temple. During their investigation, officers located a firearm inside a car.
The Salt Lake City Police Department’s SWAT Team, Special Investigations Unit, Gang Unit, Violent Criminal Apprehension Team, Central Patrol Division Bike Squad, Pioneer Patrol Division Bike Squad, and the SLCPD’s Public Order Unit all assisted with executing today’s court-authorized search warrant.
Several photos from this morning’s warrant service are being released. Media may use these photos with credit to the Salt Lake City Police Department.
A SLCPD Public Information Officer (PIO) responded to the scene.
Media wishing to speak with a PIO should email PolicePRUnit@slcgov.com or submit a media request using the department’s website.
The PIO will only be available until 12:30 p.m. Saturday August 26, 2023.
1 – Salt Lake City Police block West Market Street during the execution of a search warrant (SLCPD Photo, August 26, 2023).
2 – A Salt Lake City Police officer assigned to the Gang Unit prepares to document evidence during a court-authorized search warrant (SLCPD Photo, August 26, 2023).
3 – An officer assigned to the SLCPD Central Division Bike Squad blocks traffic during a search warrant (SLCPD photo, August 26, 2023).
4 – Members of the Salt Lake City Police Department’s SWAT Team meet after SLCPD SWAT executed a search warrant (SLCPD photo, August 26, 2023).
5 – A Salt Lake City Police patrol SUV blocks traffic at West Temple Street and Market Street (SLCPD Photo, August 26, 2023).