Watch Log: Thursday, May 23, 2013May 24, 2013
Watch Log: Friday, May 24, 2013May 28, 2013
May 24, 2013 — With Memorial Day weekend kicking off the summer fun and vacation season, the Salt Lake City Police Department encourages the public to take preventive safety measures to ensure a happy holiday and summer experience.
A variety of safety brochures are available on the department’s website, www.slcpd.com, excerpts from which are listed below:
- Stop home delivery at the post office (online hold service) or arrange daily pickup by a friend.
- Don’t pick up hitchhikers.
- Avoid carrying large sums of cash.
- Plan your route and make sure someone knows where you will be going and when you expect to be back.
- Carry identification with you and always wear a helmet.
- Understand the laws and rules of the road.
Car Burglary Prevention:
- Hide valuables.
- Keep your car visible.
- Lock doors and roll up windows when parking.
Just for Kids (includes Kid Safety Oath):
- Never accept rides, candy or gifts from strangers.
- If lost, ask a store clerk, security guard or police officer for help.
- Always lock household doors and windows, even when home. Never let a stranger inside.
Take 25 (a parents’ guide to talking with kids about safety):
- Teach children their full names, address, and home telephone number. Make sure they know parents’ full names.
- Take children on a walking tour of their neighborhood and point out approved houses.
- During family outings, establish a central, easy-to-locate spot to meet for check-ins or should you get separated
SLCPD Safety Brochures available in Spanish are posted at: slcpd.com/community/information-brochures/folletos/
Contact: Reporters seeking comment should contact the Public Information Officer at 801.799.NEWS (6397). Note: The Public Relations Unit will be closed Monday in observance of the Memorial Day holiday. Regular operating hours will resume Tuesday, May 28, at 8 a.m.