The following tabs provide useful information and resources related to public safety. If you have a question that isn't answered here, please email for assistance.

The use of burglary alarm systems has substantially increased. Salt Lake City police officers responding to these alarms have found them to be 99% false. This false alarm rate has resulted in an overwhelming burden on law enforcement.

December 1, 2000, a new alarm ordinance took effect in Salt Lake City. A private security guard should now be responding to your burglar alarm. Responding to your alarm for the protection of your property will be their priority. They will determine if a police officer is required. The Salt Lake City Police Department will be involved in an on-going training effort involving all areas of alarm response with private guard companies licensed with the State of Utah.

The alarm ordinance still provides for fines for those who misuse their alarm systems. Please make sure you are familiar with your alarm system and have regular maintenance.

Alarms activated by people, such as robbery, panic and duress alarms, will remain a high priority and will be responded to by Salt Lake City police officers.

We believe this approach will form a healthy cooperation between the police department, the alarm industry and private guard services to provide Salt Lake City citizens with a faster, more efficient alarm response.

The Salt Lake City Police Department provides a large variety of crime prevention programs. We will do a personalized security survey of your home or business. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment with the Salt Lake City Police Department Alarm Unit, please call us at (801) 799-3545.

Helpful downloads:

Still have questions? Contact Us:

Salt Lake City Police Department Alarm Unit
475 South 300 East
PO Box 145497
SLC, Utah 84114-5497
Telephone: (801) 799-3545 | Fax: (801) 799-3325

Highlights of the Salt Lake City Corporation Alarm Ordinance 5.08

Effective December 1, 2000:

  • 5.08.045 – Alarm companies are required to be licensed under the provisions of the Utah Burglar Alarm Security and Licensing Act, Sections 58-55-102.
  • 5.08.065 – Alarm permits are required prior to the operation of an alarm system. There shall be no charge for the permit and it does not expire until a change in ownership of the system occurs.
  • 5.08.095 – Section A. A private guard responder shall confirm an attempted or actual criminal event at the alarm site before a police officer will be dispatched. Wholesale or retail firearms businesses are exempt from this requirement.
  • 5.08.095 – Section B. A $150 penalty charged to a monitoring company for each request for police response from a duress, panic or holdup alarm where no valid alarm user permit is provided to police communications.
  • 5.08.095 – Section C. False information given to police shall result in a Class B Misdemeanor.
  • 5.08.095 – Section D. False duress, panic or hold up alarms which are determined to be false shall result in an assessment of a $100 penalty for the first, $150 for the second, $250 for the third, $350 for the fourth, and $450 for the fifth within a 365 day calendar.
  • 5.08.095 – Section F. The False Alarm Prevention Course is offered on a regular basis. Citizens attending this course will be issued a certificate worth the dismissal of one false alarm penalty.
  • 5.08.190 – Section E. It is the responsibility of the alarm business and technician to prevent false alarms during installation, system repairs, or system service. Proper notification shall be made to monitoring company that the system is in a test mode to avoid dispatching of law enforcement. Violation of this section shall result in a civil penalty of $150 per incident against the company employing the technician.
  • 5.08.200 – Automatic dialing devices, which automatically dial the police, are unlawful.
  • 5.08.230 – Appeal Procedures. Any alarm user shall have ten (10) business days from the date of the city’s written notice of a penalty assessment under this chapter to request in writing an appeal hearing. The filing of an appeal with the alarm administrator shall stay the assessment of additional penalties for that violation until the hearing officer makes a final decision. The burden to prove any matter shall be upon the person raising such matter. It shall not be a defense to any penalty assessment that: (1) the false alarms were the result of faulty or malfunctioning equipment; (2) the false alarms were caused by electrical surges, or (3) the false alarms were caused by the fault of another person during non-criminal incidents. The hearing officer shall render a decision within 10 days after the appeal hearing is concluded. Following issuance of such decision, additional penalty assessments shall accrue until paid, as provided in this chapter.
Visit the FAQ's page for detailed information on background checks.
Visit the FAQ's page for detailed information on registering your bike or picking up a bike from evidence.

Acquaintance Rape: aka Date Rape

Being forced into having sex — even if it's someone you know — is rape, and it's a crime.

At least one-third of all reported rape victims know their attacker: he was a date, steady boy friend or casual friend. This is called acquaintance rape, and it probably happens to teenage girls and young women more than any other age group.

It's hard to think of someone familiar as a rapist, and this familiarity makes you less willing to trust your self-protective instincts. Also, acquaintance rapists use psychological pressures, as well as physical force. Being forced into having sex — even if it's by someone you know — is still rape, and it's a crime. Nothing you do, say or wear gives anyone the right to assault you, sexually or otherwise.

What can I do to protect myself?
  • When you first date someone you don't know well, check him or her out with friends. Plan to meet someplace where there are other people — a restaurant, a movie, a mall — or go with a group of friends.
  • Be prepared to find your own transportation home. Carry change for a phone call to your parents or a friend and enough cash for a taxi.
  • Don't get drunk or stoned. Remember, drugs and alcohol decrease your ability to take care of yourself and make sensible decisions.
  • Clearly and firmly, let your date know your limits before you get into a situation you can't control.
  • Don't leave a party, a concert or a ball game with someone you just met.
  • Trust your instincts. If you think something's not quite right or you feel uneasy, get to where there are other people or tell your date to leave — now. Be assertive.
Can I fight back?

Because each situation is different, no one can list actions that are guaranteed to protect you against acquaintance rape. But here are some tactics to think about.

  • Be assertive. Say no firmly, even it he tries to make you feel guilty, unpopular or babyish.
  • If that doesn't work, be rude!
  • Make noise: talk loudly, scream, honk the car horn.
  • Turn him off by acting crazy, saying you have a venereal disease or threatening to throw up.
  • Try to get away and call your parents or friends to come get you.
  • If all else fails, you can resort to physical resistance: a swift jab to the throat or eyes or a solid kick in the knees.
What if it happens to me?

Don't feel guilty and don't just try to forget about it. You didn't ask to be raped. Any rape is a violent attack that can have traumatic effects on the victim for months, and even years, afterward.

The single most important action you can take is to tell someone — your parents, the police, a school counselor, the family doctor, or any adult you trust. Call your community's rape hotline or crisis center. It is often listed in the telephone book under rape, community crisis center or sexual assault. The telephone operator can help you. Go to a doctor, hospital emergency room or local women's clinic to be tested for venereal disease and pregnancy.

All rape victims usually feel rage, guilt, anger and helplessness. The best way to handle these emotions and get back in charge of your life is to talk with sympathetic friends and family or counselors from the rape crisis center, a mental health agency or a women's clinic.

Who can help?
Even if you don't have this problem, someone you know may. Find out about the services in your community that help victims of rape and incest. In addition to law enforcement, some places to look include rape crisis centers, community mental health centers, school counselors, women's clinics, legal aid agencies, and social services agencies.

Date Rape: a power trip

Nothing — not even previous consensual sex — entitles anyone to force others to perform sexual acts. Without consent, forcing sexual contact is a crime. Date rape is a betrayal of trust and causes long-lasting emotional injuries. Date rape or acquaintance rape is about power, control and anger — not romance.

Why does it happen?

Let's look at sexual stereotyping and how males and females talk to each other.

  • Although things are changing, society still frequently encourages men to be competitive and aggressive and teaches women to be passive and avoid confrontation.
  • Men say they misunderstand a woman's words and actions, the usual excuse being "she said no, but meant yes."
  • Some people — men and women alike — still believe that it's okay for a man to demand sex if he takes a woman out or buys her gifts, and that it's not rape if he forces sex on a woman who previously had sex with him or other men.
  • Women also feel that if they've previously had sex with their boyfriend and he later forces her to have sex against her will, it may not be considered rape.
  • Date rape can happen in homosexual relationships as well as heterosexual ones. Although it is less frequent, men can also be the victim of rape. It is still a crime and the victim still needs to get medical attention and counseling as soon as possible.
What can I do to prevent date rape?

Be clear about what, if any, sexual behavior you are comfortable with — and keep talking as you get deeper into a relationship.

  • Don't use alcohol or other drugs: they decrease your ability to take care of yourself and make sensible decisions.
  • Trust your gut feelings. If a place or the way your date acts makes you nervous or uneasy, leave. Always take enough money for a phone call for help.
  • Check out a first date or blind date with friends. Meet in, and go to, public places. Take public transportation or drive your own car.
  • Leave social events with friends, not with someone you just met or don't know well.
  • Always watch your drink and never leave it unattended. Don't accept beverages from someone you don't know and trust.
As a man, what can I do?
  • Realize that forcing a woman to have sex against her will is rape, which is a violent crime with serious consequences.
  • Accept a woman’s decision when she says “no.” Don’t see it as a challenge.
  • Ask yourself how sexual stereotypes affect your attitudes and actions toward women.
  • Don’t use alcohol and other drugs: it clouds your judgment and understanding of what another person wants.
  • Get help if you see men involved in a gang rape.
  • Understand that if a woman is drunk and you have sex with her against her will, it’s still rape.
  • Seek counseling or a support group to help you if you feel violent or aggressive toward women.
What do I do if it happens to me?

Remember that rape is rape. You are not to blame. Remember that, and know that action against the rapist can prevent others from becoming victims.

  • Get help immediately. Phone the police, a friend, a rape crisis center, a relative. Don’t isolate yourself, don’t feel guilty or ashamed, and don’t try to ignore it. It is a crime that should be reported.
  • Get medical attention as soon as possible. Do not shower, wash, douche or change your clothes. Valuable evidence could be destroyed.
  • Get counseling to help you through the recovery process. Rape is a traumatic experience and trained counselors can make recovery easier and quicker.
  • If you think you’ve been sexually assaulted under the influence of a date rape drug, get medical help immediately. Try not to urinate before providing any urine samples. If possible, collect any containers from which you drank.
What do I do if it happens to someone I know?
  • Believe her.
  • Ask her how you can help.
  • Offer comfort and support. Go with her to the hospital, police station or counseling center.
  • Remind her that it is not her fault.
How could I take action in the community?
  • Ask your student government or a parent group to sponsor a workshop on date rape and sexual stereotyping. Work with a hotline or crisis center to persuade rape victims to join the panel.
  • Volunteer at a rape crisis center or hotline.
  • Monitor the media for programs or videos that reinforce sexual stereotypes. Write, call or e-mail to protest. On the other side, publicly commend the media when they highlight the realities of date rape.
What are date rape drugs?

Rohypnol — also known as roofies, roopies, circles, the forget pills — works like a tranquilizer. It causes muscle weakness, fatigue, slurred speech, loss of motor coordination and judgment, and amnesia that lasts up to 24 hours. It looks like aspirin — small, white and round.

GHB — also known as Liquid X, salt water, scoop — also causes quick sedation. Its effects include drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, headaches, dizziness, coma and death. Its most common form is a clear liquid, although it also can be a white, grainy powder.

Rohypnol and GHB are called “date rape drugs” because when slipped into someone’s drink, a sexual assault can take place without the victim being able to remember what happened.

Incest: the most fundamental violation of trust

Incest is more difficult to talk about than rape or date rape, but it happens to at least 100,000 children and teens each year. The most common kind of incest is sex between an older family member — a parent, stepparent, uncle or cousin — and a child or teenager. Most victims are girls, although it can happen to boys as well.

Incest occurs through persuasion and pressure more often than by physical violence. It becomes a closely-held secret, continuing for years. The victims feel shame, anger and guilt, and they usually believe they must handle the situation alone. Incest victims who have to depend on their abusers for food and shelter tell themselves it won’t happen again, or they worry about sending their father, stepfather, uncle or brother to jail.

The best way to stop incest is to tell someone you trust and who will believe you. This can be very, very difficult, and parents or relatives may say you are lying or that you caused the assault. Keep reminding yourself that incest is not an expression of love and that you have the right not to be touched sexually by anyone against your will. Keep telling until someone believes you.

Running away or getting married to escape the situation are never solutions, but only create new problems all their own.

Persons who commit incest — and their victims — can only be helped when the problem is out in the open. Although incest is a criminal offense, the abuser usually is not jailed, but is ordered to get psychiatric help. Many law enforcement agencies work with mental health and social service agencies to stop the incest, protect the victim, and help all members of the family.

Visit the FAQ's page for detailed information on picking up evidence/property.
Visit the FAQ's page for detailed information on fingerprinting.

Evacuating Your Home in an Emergency

Having your own evacuation plan can be a big relief and could help you avoid paying a premium for food, fuel and accommodations and taking a chance on where your family sleeps at night.

Basic Evacuation Planning Steps

Here are three questions you should answer to get started:

  • Where would you go? To get out of harm’s way, you may need to go north, south, east or west. Pick a destination in each direction. Your primary destination could be with family or friends within the range of one tank full of gas. Stop-and-go driving could drastically reduce how far you can get on a tank of gas, so take that into consideration.
  • Where would you stay? If you are with family or friends, certain comforts could be expected. Be sure to discuss this with your hosts ahead of time. Four families in a two-bedroom house could be very uncomfortable. If you end up in a shelter, only very basic needs will be provided, and could be in short supply – but being safe is your first concern.
  • What would you take with you? More on this later, but 1) food and water, 2) clothes and comfort and 3) cash and documents are three prime categories. It is recommended that you plan to be self-sustaining for at least three days. If you don’t have reliable transportation of your own, you need to know more in advance about what options are available from your neighbors or local government. Your county emergency manager’s office is the source for this information. What you can take with you are the same as above, but you are limited by how much you can carry.

Develop a Detailed Plan

Here is information you will need to know:

  • Find out from your local Emergency Management Office about evacuation plans. SLC Emergency Management
  • Learn proposed evacuation routes and the locations of potential public shelters.
  • If you do not have personal transportation, make arrangements with friends or find out what resources can be provided through your local government.
  • Develop a Family Communications Plan.
  • Scale the plan: Do you need to evacuate your neighborhood, your community or the region.
  • Share the plan with family members. Discuss what to do if kids are in school, if a parent is far from home, etc.
  • Be sure you have all phone numbers: Work, school, cell phones and land lines, host family, friends, your local emergency management office and/or community evacuation resources.
  • Have your transportation arranged.
  • Keep your car fueled if evacuation seems likely. Gas stations may be closed during an emergency, out of fuel or unable to pump gas during power outages. Check your oil and other fluids, tire pressure, spare tire, jack and other tools.
  • Have a good road map. Evacuation routes may take you on unfamiliar roads.
  • If driving with someone else, set meeting place, stay in touch to coordinate pick-up times.
  • If using community transportation, find out where and when you need to arrive for pick-up.
  • Assemble a Disaster Supply Kit.
  • Food and water for three days and/or special dietary foods.
  • Toilet articles (soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.)
  • Prescription medicines, medical equipment and important medical records.
  • Clothing for several days.
  • Blankets, pillows and towels (particularly if you may stay at a public mass care shelter).
  • Identification and important papers.
  • Checkbook, credit card and cash.
  • Flashlights with extra batteries, phone chargers and extra phone batteries.
  • Baby or pet supplies, including special food, sanitary items and play items.
  • Prepare to shut down your home or apartment
  • Know how to safely shut off electricity, gas and water supplies at main switches and valves.
  • Secure all loose yard items such as lawn furniture, BBQ grills, bird baths, trash cans, planters, awnings, etc.
  • Move valuable items to inner rooms or upper floors.
  • Your home could be without power for an extended period.
  • Check your refrigerator and freezer for perishable items.
  • Unplug major appliances to avoid damage from lightning strikes or power surges.
  • Consider obtaining and pre-drilling plywood to board up windows of your home.

What to do if Asked/Told to Evacuate

  • Gather all persons in the household together.
  • Household members outside the area may be advised not to return during an evacuation. They may be directed to a reception center or mass care shelter where you can join them. They should call you, or you call them, to be sure of everyone’s status.
  • Board up your home if you decide to cover outside windows.
  • Turn off lights and unplug unnecessary appliances.
  • Close and lock windows and doors. Close curtains and shades.
  • Check with neighbors to see if they need assistance. Offer to share transportation.
  • Notify others when you are leaving and where you plan to go.
  • Load your Disaster Supply Kit and all who are travelling together and leave.
  • Do not call local fire or police departments for information. Emergency workers need their lines for emergency use. If you need special help, call your local Emergency Management Office.
  • If you need a ride, go with a neighbor or contact your local Emergency Management Office.

* Sources of information: www.fema.govbereadyutahSLC Emergency Management.

Recognizing terrorism-related activity

When it comes to recognizing terrorism-related activity, the mantra is : if you see something, say something. To educate yourself, we provide the following pocket guide for you to observe, document and report suspicious activity:

Download the Information Collection and Sharing Guide

Useful Links

Identity theft occurs when someone takes, uses, sells or transfers the personal identifying information of someone else without that person’s approval, with the intent to use the information for an unlawful purpose.

How do identity thieves use my information?
  • Call your credit card issuer and, pretending to be you, ask to change the mailing address on the credit card account. As bills will go to the new address, it may take some time before you realize there is a problem.
  • Open a new credit card account using your name, date of birth and social security number. When they do not pay the bills, the delinquent account is put on your credit report.
  • Establish phone or wireless service in your name.
  • Open a bank account in your name and write bad checks on that account.
  • File for bankruptcy under your name to avoid paying debts they have incurred under your name or to avoid eviction.
  • Take out auto loans in your name.
  • Give your name to the police during an arrest. If they do not show up for their court date, an arrest warrant is issued in your name.
  • Use your social security number to obtain employment credentials.
What are the most common kinds of identity theft?
  • Credit card fraud
  • Phone and utility fraud
  • Bank fraud
  • Employment-related fraud
  • Government document or benefit fraud
  • Loan fraud
What is personal identifying information?

It includes your:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Date of birth
  • Passwords
  • Pin numbers
  • Account numbers
  • Telephone numbers
  • E-mail address & screen name
  • Social security number
  • Driver’s license number
How does identity theft occur?

Skilled thieves get your personal identifying information by:

  • Stealing your purse or wallet.
  • Stealing your ID cards, credit cards and bankcards.
  • Stealing personal information from your home.
  • Stealing mail, including account statements, pre-approved credit card offers and tax information.
  • Stealing credit or debit card numbers as the card is being processed,
  • Going through your trash, or the trash of businesses and dumps.
  • Buying personal information from sources such as employees at stores, restaurants or hotels.
  • Pretending to be your landlord or employer to get your credit reports or personnel records.
  • Diverting your mail by using a change of address form.
  • “Skimming” your credit card through a special information device that stores the card information.
  • “Shoulder surfing” to overhear or see any personal identifying information.
  • You give it to people you trust.
How can I protect myself?

To help minimize the risk of becoming a victim, take a few simple steps. To start, remember the word “SCAM.”

  • S: Be STINGY about giving out your personal information to others unless you have a reason to trust them, regardless of where you are.
  • C: CHECK your finance information regularly and look for what should be there and what shouldn’t.
  • A: Remember to ASK periodically for a copy of your credit report.
  • MAINTAIN careful records of your banking and financial accounts. Educating yourself is the best way to minimize identity fraud.

Educating yourself is the best way to minimize identity fraud.

I'm a victim. What now?
  • Place a fraud alert on your credit reports and carefully review them.
  • Contact your creditors and financial institutions. Close all accounts that have been accessed by the identity thieves. Ask for passwords to secure new accounts.
  • Keep a log of who you speak to and when. Send a follow-up letter for all phone calls and send all letters by certified mail. Keep copies of all letters and documents.
  • File a report with the police in the community where the ID theft took place. Ask for a copy of the report to show your creditors and financial institutions.
  • To make a police report with the Salt Lake City Police Department, call (801) 799-3000.
  • File a report with the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) Identity Theft Department, (877) ID THEFT
  • File a report with one of the three major credit-reporting bureaus to put a fraud alert on your name. Order credit reports and review them thoroughly.
    Experian: 1-888-397-3742
    Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
    TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
  • If mail was stolen or tampered with, contact the Postal Inspection Service at (801) 974-2271
  • If Social Security Number/Card has been stolen, call the SSN Fraud Hotline at 1-800-269-0271
  • If your checks have been stolen or misused, close the account and ask your bank to notify the appropriate check verification service.
  • OPT OUT: stop pre-approved credit cards at 1-888-567-8688

Additional information and resources are available on the Internet at Identity Theft Resource Center.

Visit the FAQ's page for detailed information on getting your car out of impound.

No. __51__ of 2009
(Parties, Gatherings, and Events)

An Ordinance amending Chapter 11.14 of the Salt Lake City Code, relating to parties, gatherings, and events.

Be it ordained by the City Council of Salt Lake City, Utah:

SECTION 1. That Chapter 11.14 of the Salt Lake City Code, relating to parties, gatherings, and events be, and the same hereby is, amended as follows:

Chapter 11.14


11.14.010 Definitions:

The following words, phrases and terms as used in this chapter shall have the meaning for this chapter as indicated below:

A. “Host” means:

  1. The person having an ownership or leasehold interest in the premises; or
  2. A person who resides at or occupies the premises in any capacity, other than as a mere guest at the party, gathering or event; or
  3. The person in charge of the premises; or
  4. The person who organized the party, gathering or event; or
  5. The person who gave permission to hold the party, gathering or event on the premises;
  6. If the party is hosted by an organization, either incorporated or unincorporated, the term “host” includes the officers of the organization;
  7. If the host is a minor under eighteen (18) years of age, the term “host” includes the part or parents or legal guardians of the minor, whether or not they are present at the premises.

B. “Noise disturbance” means a noise disturbance as defined in Section 9.28.020(B)(15) of this code.

C. “Party, gathering, or event” means three (3) or more assembled for a social activity where: (i) alcoholic beverages have been or are being consumed contrary to law, (ii) substances regulated by the Utah controlled substances act are used by any person, or (iii) the noise from the party, gathering, or event makes a noise disturbance.

D. “Premises” means the property at which a party, gathering, or event occurs.

E. “Services fee” means the fee imposed by this chapter, calculated to cover, without limitation, related police department costs and reasonable attorney fees.

11.14.020 Services Fees-Special Security Assignment:

A. Any person hosting a party, gathering, or event within the City may be liable for services fess. Any services fee may be in addition to such other costs and penalties as may be provided in this code.

B. A services fee is owed for each time a police officer responds to a call or otherwise arrives at a premises to deal with a party, gathering, or event. The amount of the fees and the persons owing the fees are as follows:

  • (i) For non-rental property, the owner of the premises shall owe $300 for each visit of one or more police officers;
  • (ii) For rental property, the renters shall owe $300 for each visit of one or more police officers; in addition, the owner of the premises shall owe $100 for the third visit and $300 for any additional visits of one or more police officers during any 365-day period.

C. All services fees assessed under this chapter shall be due and payable within three (3) business days after the date a written notice of the services fee is sent to the person against whom the services fee is assessed. Any services fee paid within thirty (30) days after the due date shall be reduced by fifty ($50) dollars. Any services fee paid more than thirty (30) days but less than sixty (60) days after the due date shall be reduced by twenty-five ($25) dollars. Any services fee paid more than sixty (60) days after the due date shall not be reduced. If any services fee is not paid within ninety (90) days after the due date, the City may use such lawful means as are available to collect such services fee. If the City files an action in court to recover such services fee, the City shall be entitled to recover of its court costs, prejudgment interest, and attorney’s fees in addition to the services fee due and owing.

11.14.030 Recovery of Actual Costs:

In addition to the services fees described in section 11.14.020 of this chapter, the City reserves the right to seek reimbursement for actual costs that exceed the stated services fee, through other legal theories, remedies, or procedures.

11.14.040 This Chapter Not To Preclude Other Appropriate Action:

Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to prevent the arrest or citation of violators of the state penal code or other regulations, ordinances, or laws.

11.14.050 Administrative Appeals:

A. A Salt Lake City justice court shall consider matters relating to services fees.

B. Any person having received notice of the assessment of a services fee may appear before the Salt Lake City justice court and present and contest the alleged violation upon which the services fee was based.

C. If the Salt Lake City justice court finds that no violation occurred and one or more of the defenses set forth in this section is applicable, the justice court may dismiss the services fee notice, release the defendant from liability for the services fee, or modify the services fee as justice and equity may require. Such defenses are:

  1. Wrong name and address on the services fee notice;
  2. Compliance with the subject ordinances would have presented an imminent and irreparable injury to persons or property;
  3. Such other mitigating circumstances as may be shown by the appellant.

D. If the Salt Lake City justice court finds that a services fee was properly imposed and no applicable defense exists, the justice court may, in the interest of justice and on behalf of the City, enter into an agreement for the timely or periodic payment of the services fee.

Under a change in Utah law, the Salt Lake City Police Department now is responsible for the registration of all sex offenders who are off probation or parole and live in the city.

Per Utah Code §77-27-21.5, sex offenders must register every six months based on their date of birth. They also must update their personal information within three business days of any change in residence, vehicle, employment or educational institution.

Effective immediately and until further notice, sex offenders off probation or parole must make an appointment to update their information by calling (801) 799-3775.

Search for sex offenders by address or name.

The emergency notification system is designed to contact residents and businesses in the event of an emergency. The link below will allow you to voluntarily register your e-mail address, SMS (text message) device, TTY device, and I/M address to help ensure you receive emergency notification.

Register to receive emergency notifications