SLCPD Gun Buy-Back Results in 103 Firearms Being RelinquishedJune 13, 2022
SLCPD Investigating Deadly Motorcycle CrashJune 18, 2022
June 14, 2022
Media Contact Information: PolicePRUnit@slcgov.com
SLCPD Seeking Community’s Help to Identify Luggage Thief
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department is asking for our community’s help to identify a man wanted in connection to two different felony-related luggage thefts from Salt Lake City International Airport.
The first investigation began at 4:23 p.m. on April 4, 2022 after a passenger told officers their luggage had been lost or stolen.
Detectives with the SLCPD Airport Division reviewed surveillance footage that shows a man stepping off the UTA Trax train, walking to the baggage carousel, stealing the luggage, and walking back out to the Trax station and boarding the train.
The second investigation began at 4:45 p.m. on May 18, 2022 after a passenger reported a piece of luggage was missing from the baggage carousel.
Detectives watched surveillance footage and discovered the person stealing the second bag was the same man from the first investigation.
Because the value of each bag is greater than $1,500, these thefts are being investigated as felonies.
Four surveillance images of the man are being released. The images show the man has several distinguishable tattoos.
Anyone who recognizes the man should call 801-799-3000 and reference case 22-802249.
The best way to prevent luggage theft is to ensure your bags are never left unattended. Recognizing that flying with carry-on bags is not always feasible, the Salt Lake City Police Department is providing flyers with the following tips to avoid luggage theft:
• Place irreplaceable or high value items in your carry-on baggage (Note: Passengers should know which items are required to be checked.)
• Reconsider purchasing luxury-branded luggage as this could be an allure to potential thieves.
• Make your checked luggage distinctive using stickers, tape, ribbon or consider purchasing a brightly colored suitcase.
• Keep a record of what you pack and take a photo of your belongings and your luggage. Photos can be helpful during a police investigation and for insurance purposes.
• After landing, avoid unnecessary delays and head to the baggage pick-up area immediately so your bag is not left unattended when on the baggage carousel.
• Ensure your bag is clearly labeled with your contact information. For privacy reasons, an address is not necessary, but a name and phone number should be included.
• If you believe someone has stolen your luggage, be sure to file a police report and file reports with the airline and TSA.
• Report anything suspicious to an airport/airline official or airport police.
The Salt Lake City Police Department’s Airport Division continues to conduct proactive operations to curb luggage theft from SLCIA. Officers and detectives work closely with airline and airport staff to ensure the security of passenger luggage.
Because these investigations are still ongoing, no other information can be released at this time.