SLCPD Releases Response Times for March 2023
April 3, 2023
SLCPD Coordinated Effort Results in 2 Arrests; Return of Stolen SUV, Stolen Packages
April 4, 2023
Photo of a police badge


April 3, 2023


Media Contact Information:

SLCPD Officers Negotiate with Man for Two Hours Following DV Incident in Downtown

SALT LAKE CITY — Officers with the Salt Lake City Police Department spent two hours this weekend safely negotiating with a 27-year-old man who ran from them and then tried hiding on a rooftop after he allegedly assaulted a woman during a domestic violence setting.

The SLCPD patrol supervisor overseeing the incident described the case as, “a textbook, collaborative effort by all officers involved.”

This investigation started at 3:58 p.m. on Saturday April 1, 2023, when officers responded to an apartment near 200 North Main Street. During the investigation, officers learned the suspect, Khari Haynes, refused to let a woman leave the apartment and physically held her against the wall.

The woman got away with minor physical injuries and left the apartment.

Later, officers returned to the apartment and tried talking with Haynes, but he jumped from a third-floor balcony and ran into the neighborhood.

One of the initial responding officers quickly caught up to Haynes who then jumped over a fence and dropped down a 20-foot wall.

Additional officers quickly responded to help look for Haynes.

A SLCPD sergeant requested assistance from the Utah Department of Public Safety’s Aero Bureau.

The helicopter squad from DPS used thermal imaging technology and spotted Haynes on a rooftop near 36 East 200 North.

Haynes refused to come down and threatened self-harm.

Officers set up a large perimeter to ensure Haynes’ safety and requested the Salt Lake City Fire Department and Gold Cross Ambulance to wait nearby.

Negotiators with the Salt Lake City Police Department responded and worked diligently to build a rapport with Haynes.

After two hours of communicating with him, Haynes came down from the roof and officers safely took him into custody.

Paramedics took Haynes to the hospital for minor injuries related to the fall from the fence.

Officers booked Haynes into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on charges of Domestic Violence Assault, Domestic Violence Unlawful Detention, and Failing to Stop at the Command of a Law Enforcement Officer.

Charges are only allegations, and every arrested person is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

The Salt Lake City Police Department reminds our community of the resources available to support survivors of domestic violence in Utah.

The Salt Lake City Police Department encourages anyone who has experienced Domestic Violence to call us at 801-799-3000 and ask to speak with a Victim Advocate or call their 24-hour hotline directly at 801-580-7969. All services are free, and callers can get information anonymously.

No further information on this case is being released. Neither the PIO nor the On-Duty Watch Commander are available for interviews.

The Salt Lake City Police Department is not the custodian of record for jail booking photos. Utah Code 17-22-30 mostly prohibits the release of jail booking photos. Generally, a jail booking photo can only be released by the custodian of record after a conviction or when law enforcement determines the person is a fugitive or an imminent threat to a person or public safety. In Salt Lake City, the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office is the custodian of record for jail booking photos.