Police Seek Community’s Help Identifying Robbery SuspectsJanuary 20, 2017
Salt Lake City Police Officer receives awardJanuary 24, 2017
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department received several reports recently of callers claiming to be law enforcement. The scammers appear to be using the phone numbers of the Salt Lake City Police Department, stating they are federal law enforcement and that local police will be coming to their place of residence to arrest them. The scammers state they will make contact again to arrange how to avoid the arrest. The second contact will be asking for money to avoid arrest.
Neither the federal government nor the Salt Lake City Police will contact you by phone and ask for money to avoid arrest.
This is a scam. Please call your local law enforcement only if you have become a victim of this scam.
Tips to Avoid Common Fraud Schemes, from http://www.fbi.gov/scams-safety/fraud:
- Don’t pay in advance for services. Pay for services only after they are delivered.
- Be wary of companies that want to send a messenger to your home to pick up money, claiming it is part of their service to you. In reality, they are taking your money without leaving any trace of whom they are or where they can be reached.
- Never send money or give out personal information — such as credit card numbers and expiration dates, bank account numbers, dates of birth, or social security numbers — to unfamiliar companies or unknown persons.
- Be aware that your personal information is often brokered to telemarketers through third parties.
- If you have been victimized once, be wary of persons who call offering to help you recover your losses for a fee paid in advance.
If you have information about a fraud, report it to state, local, or federal law enforcement agencies.
The Police Department asks anyone who may know the identity and/or location of this suspect to call (801) 799-3000. Anonymous tips may be sent by text to 274637. Please start your text with TIPSLCPD, which routes it to the police department. Then include any relevant information.