SLCPD Patrol Officers Arrest Suspect in Aggravated Assault
February 12, 2022
SLCPD Identifies Suspects in Blaire Leavitt Murder Investigation
February 15, 2022
SLCPD Patrol Officers Arrest Suspect in Aggravated Assault
February 12, 2022
SLCPD Identifies Suspects in Blaire Leavitt Murder Investigation
February 15, 2022

February 12, 2022

Media Contact Information:

SLCPD Peacefully Resolves Mental Health Crisis After Two Hour Standoff

SALT LAKE CITY — A 36-year-old man is receiving a mental health evaluation and subsequent treatment after entering a local business with multiple weapons and then barricading himself inside a vehicle for nearly 2.5 hours.

This investigation started shortly after 1:00 p.m. on February 12, 2022 when SLC911 received reports of a man armed with a weapon near 161 West 900 South.
When officers arrived, they learned the suspect had parked his pick-up in a lane a travel on 900 South and exited the vehicle. A witness told officers the person had multiple firearms and walked into a business.

After speaking with witnesses, officers learned the suspect entered a business and removed at least three firearms before exiting and returning to his parked car. At no time did the person point any of the firearms at anyone inside the business, nor did the man make any threats of violence toward them or officers.

Officers began securing the area and asked people living, working and visiting the immediate area to shelter-in-place.

While the shelter-in-place order remained, officers with crisis intervention training immediately started attempts to communicate with the person inside the vehicle. The individual would not respond to officers. Officers learned the person likely had access to additional firearms inside the vehicle.

The on-scene incident commander requested the assistance of SLCPD SWAT and Crisis Negotiators. These highly trained teams provide patrol officers with additional resources.

At approximately 3:30 p.m. the person exited the vehicle and safely turned himself into officers. Officers lifted the shelter-in-place order a short time later.

At this point, no criminal charges are being filed.

However, the man is now in protective custody for a mental health evaluation and subsequent treatment because officers have developed probable cause that he is in a mental health crisis and that he poses a substantial likelihood of serious harm to himself or others. Officers also believe the man may have been under the influence of an intoxicant.

SLCPD Chief Mike Brown released the following statement:

“The leadership and compassion demonstrated by our officers on this extremely volatile incident highlight our officers’ training and skills to effectively and safely handle situations that involve a person in a mental health crisis. Our officers continue to receive advance training to help keep people who are in crisis, their families, our community and our officers safe. I am very proud of their actions today and I appreciate the support of the outside law enforcement agencies that stepped in to assist us.”

Under Utah’s “Firearms Safe Harbor” law, in certain circumstances, a person can have firearms kept safe, without cost, by law enforcement if they believe someone at home is a danger to themselves or others.

The Salt Lake City Police Department would like to recognize the Utah Transit Authority Police Department and the Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake for their assistance on this incident.

The name of the person in protective custody is not being released.

Photos from the scene have been posted to the SLCPD’s Twitter account.

An SLCPD PIO responded to the scene to provide media updates.

No additional information is being released.


  • Utah Crisis Line: 801-587-3000
  • National Suicide Lifeline: 1800-273-TALK (8255)