SLCPD Chief Mike Brown, Mayor Mendenhall Announce New Ballpark Police Substation
August 4, 2022
SLCPD Investigating Shooting, 1 Person Arrested
August 5, 2022


August 4, 2022


Media Contact Information:

SLCPD Provides Timeline on Police Response to Nov. 2020 Domestic Violence Incident

SALT LAKE CITY — Today, the Salt Lake City Police Department released a timeline and expanded information regarding the department’s response to the November 13, 2020 homicide of Ryan Outlaw.

The Salt Lake City Police Department appreciates the willingness of FOX 13 (KSTU) management to maintain dialogue regarding the department’s concerns over recent coverage of this case.

The Salt Lake City Police Department commits itself to providing professional services to everyone regardless of race, creed, color, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.

The Salt Lake City Police Department stands by its two officers who initially responded to this call for service. They are outstanding police officers who have repeatedly dedicated themselves to protecting and serving our community.

There were four 9-1-1 calls made related to this incident.

The first 9-1-1 call was made at 5:56 p.m. and lasted two minutes and 42 seconds. The 9-1-1 caller reported yelling between a man and a woman on the seventh floor of the Covey Apartments in downtown Salt Lake City.

The caller did not know if the incident involved any physical fighting. The caller advised they could not see any weapons and that the two involved people, a man and a woman, later determined to be Mr. Outlaw and Ms. Fernanda Tobar, were going back and forth between an apartment unit and the hallway.

Based on the information provided by the first 9-1-1 caller, the call was coded as a “Domestic – Just Occurred” and given a Priority 2 classification meaning it was not “in-progress” and there was no known active emergency requiring police to expedite their response with lights and sirens nor the need to pull an officer off a call to respond.

At the time of the first 9-1-1 call, there was no SLCPD officer available to respond.

There is no evidence to suggest that Mr. Outlaw had been stabbed at the time of the first 9-1-1 call.

At 5:59 p.m., SLC911 did an initial broadcast over the police radio for the patrol supervisor to know the call was being held.

At 6:16 p.m., SLC911 dispatched the call to the first available officer. That officer went enroute at 6:16 p.m.

At 6:17 p.m., SLC911 dispatched the call to the second available officer. That officer went enroute at 6:17 p.m. The first time a possible injury was reported was at 6:23 p.m.

While speaking with SLC911, the caller advised everything had gone quiet. SLC911 advised they would still dispatch officers to the scene to check everything out. SLC911 advised the 9-1-1 caller to call back if things changed or if the caller had new information.

The second 9-1-1 call was made at 6:21 p.m. from the first 9-1-1 caller and lasted one minute and 28 seconds. The 9-1-1 caller reported a woman was screaming for help and gave dispatchers a possible apartment number on the seventh floor to where the disturbance originated.

The third 9-1-1 call was made at 6:23 p.m. from an apartment resident and lasted four minutes and 23 seconds. As this call was being made, officers arrived on scene. The 9-1-1 caller reported she had returned to her apartment unit and heard and saw a verbal and physical argument between two of her neighbors. While on the phone with SLC911, the caller advised that someone may have been stabbed, based on what she heard and saw from within her apartment.

SLCPD arrived on scene at 6:23 p.m.

The fourth 9-1-1 call was made at 6:24 p.m. from an apartment and lasted 44 seconds. The 9-1-1 caller reported a domestic disturbance. Because of the three other callers, SLC911 was aware of the incident and advised officers were on scene.

At 6:24 p.m., the third 9-1-1 caller, while on the phone with a dispatcher, asked SLC911 if she should go out and help. The SLC911 dispatcher told the caller to stay inside for safety. This conversation was only one minute after officers knew someone was stabbed and one minute after officers arrived on scene.

At 6:25 p.m. SLCPD advised dispatch to start emergency medical services for Mr. Outlaw who appeared to have a stab wound to the chest and that the scene was safe for paramedics.

While waiting for emergency medical services and additional police resources to arrive, the officers maintained continuous awareness of Mr. Outlaw’s condition, urged him to get into the “recovery position,” attempted to ask Ms. Tobar what happened to Mr. Outlaw and had to prevent Ms. Tobar from leaving the scene.

At 6:27 p.m. SLCPD provided a condition update on Mr. Outlaw to SLC911 for responding medical units.

At 6:31 p.m. the Salt Lake City Fire Department established incident command for medical responders.

At 6:35 p.m. SLCPD advised Gold Cross would transport Mr. Outlaw to the hospital in critical condition.

At 8:06 p.m., doctors declared Mr. Outlaw deceased.

On certain calls, such as “Shooting-Just Occurred” and “Stabbing-Just Occurred,” SLC911 will preemptively dispatch emergency medical services. In this case, since there was no information about an injury prior to 6:23 p.m., medical was not staged earlier.

To maintain their Utah Peace Officer Standards and Training Officers certification, officers receive 14 hours of medical training.

In critical care situations, officers are expected, as they did in this case, to request paramedics and firefighters respond. This is part of our community’s dedicated and coordinated public safety response.

The women and men of the Salt Lake City Police Department are guardians of our community. They are committed to preserving life, maintaining professionalism and treating everyone with compassion and dignity.

Generally, the first officer at a potential crime scene is responsible for immediate safety of the public and preservation of the scene. Officers are to consider officer safety and the safety of those entering and exiting the area, including those who may render medical aid. The demands on officers are great. Each officer must make individual considerations when responding to calls for service, including determining whether it is safe to render medical aid.

Our commitment to our community remains unchanged. The Salt Lake City Police Department continues to learn from its past and evolve as a police department to better serve everyone.